the princess bride

The Princess Bride is one of the most beloved movies for those of us who were precious little girls (or boys too, I guess) in the 80's. One catch: because of my limited exposure to then-current movies as a kid, this particular film geek didn't see it till she was eighteen.

Still. Totally. Amazing.

The great thing about The Princess Bride is... oh, who am I kidding? There are so many great things about The Princess Bride. I spent some time working through this with my friend Virgin Mother, and this is what we came up with:
  1. "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
    Somehow Mandy Patinkin (who is totally not Spanish) brought this Castilian character impeccably to life on the screen. There was so much potential for cheeseballishness* with Inigo; on the contrary, Patinkin treats him with reverence, heart, and wit. The result is that we actually care about the guy instead of just laughing at his antics.

  2. The Fire Swamp.
    It's the reconciliation scene for Westley and Buttercup, but there's plenty of humor and action (as well as story exposition), so it's never in danger of sinking in its own sappiness.

  3. Andre the Giant.
    He was so sweet. And so huge. And so funny ("Anybody want a peanut?") And so perfect for the part. Also, I was just old enough at the time of his death to realize how tragic it was. So watching The Princess Bride is, in part, like looking at pictures of an old, dear friend.

  4. The score.
    If you've never noticed this, next time you see The Princess Bride, listen to the music during the sword fights. It's freaking awesome.

  5. The Bishop at the wedding.
    Mawwwaige. This was our toast at my little sis' first wedding.

  6. Billy Crystal as Miracle Max.
    Seriously, an MLT doesn't sound like a bad idea for lunch. I wonder if you can get one of those anywhere in Minneapolis?

  7. The interplay between the Grandfather (Peter Falk) and the Grandson (Fred Savage).
    It gave the movie a little bit of boy-cred, especially when the kid would balk at the "kissing parts". Plus, Savage is 2 ½ years older than me... so watching this movie always reminds me of how young I used to be. Sure, I didn't see it until I was a young adult, but whenever it comes on I somehow get tossed back into my eight-year-old self. And how often do you get to be eight again?
OK, so what did I miss? This is my official comment call for your favorite Princess Bride moment.

Oh, and did I mention? The Princess Bride is #20 on the 2008 Nayana's Top 100.

* It's my blog. Cheeseballishness is absolutely a word in the Center Seat universe.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

13 Response to "the princess bride"

  1. David Bishop says:
    June 12, 2008 at 11:44 AM

    I love this movie so much that each time they release a new 'special edition' on DVD, I have to get it. Right now, I only have 3 different versions of The Princess Bride, but I'm considering buying the Princess Buttercup edition to add to my Dread Pirate Roberts one. I do own the book as well, but I haven't quite got around to reading it.

    As for forgetting anything, I have two Wesley quotes that I couldn't live without: "As you wish" and the "to the pain" monologue. I also like how Inigo gives the six-fingered man every wound he's ever received in return. It's the eye for an eye revenge strategy.

    I do like the music in this movie because my love is like a storybook story.

  2. Jess says:
    June 12, 2008 at 12:15 PM

    David, you have to read the book - it makes the movie even funnier when you see where it came from and how much stuff is made up and moved around in great ways. Definitely make it a summer reading project.

  3. Nayana Anthony says:
    June 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM

    David... I did think about "to the pain". Good on you for mentioning it. And, hey, if you ever have an excess of copies of TPB, my address is... Just kidding. I still haven't gotten around to getting it.

    Jess... yeah. I haven't read it either, but that sounds like a fantastic thing to throw on the old to-do list.

  4. Ric Burke says:
    June 13, 2008 at 4:49 AM

    This film means so much to me; it's probably the only film that I agree about on 100% with my siblings. It's amazing.

    You've covered a lot of my favourite moments but I think I can add a few more.

    Fezzick (Andre) fighting Westley (as the man in black) always made me howl with laughter as Fezzick wants Westley to think he's doing well in their battle "I hate for people to die embarrassed." Added with the perfect line when Westley does beat him, rendering Fezzik unconscious "rest well and dream of large women".

    Of course Billy Crystal's star turn as the miracle man you've noted (MLT's sound great don't they?). Other great lines, “Do you think it'll work?" "It'll take a miracle" "Have fun storming the castle" and the classic "I'm not a witch, I'm your wife" In fact any moment in that cameo scene kills me.

    Incidentally the Mawwwaige line is the only time I've seen my uncle convulse with laughter. The adding of Pwincess Buttercwup just sent him over the edge and he had to leave the room.

  5. Daniel says:
    June 13, 2008 at 11:19 AM

    Click me!

  6. Nayana Anthony says:
    June 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM

    Plato? Aristotle? Socrates? ... Morons.

    This scene is another good example of what I was saying about the score... strings when Westley nods.

    Rad clip, Daniel. Thanks.

  7. Fletch says:
    June 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM

    Movie Blogger Rule #37 - You can never go wrong with a Princess Bride post.

    I feel sorry for you that it took till you were 18 to see it, but am glad you loved it all the same. I saw this in 5th or 6th grade (I think it was a new rental at the time) and have loved it more and more ever since. Some may scoff due to the lightheartedness or genre(s), but I place this squarely in my top 10 (somewhere).

    Excellent call on the music, done by Dire Straits' Mark Knopfler. I'm a sucker for movies where they go through the characters/actors while playing music during the end credits, and strangely, that has always been one of my favorite parts - hearing the instrumental while footage of Westley and Inigo exchange swordplay. Outside of that, I'd just say that the first 1/3 of the movie is my favorite part, though of course I love all of it.

    "It's possible (pig)."

  8. Nayana Anthony says:
    June 13, 2008 at 2:09 PM

    Great comment. Thanks, Fletch.

  9. Linda says:
    June 15, 2008 at 7:36 PM

    And don't forget that Christopher Guest played the six fingered man. I did and it was damned embarrassing! Story on my blog 6/13/06

  10. Nayana Anthony says:
    June 16, 2008 at 9:06 AM

    Christopher Guest was great, and that is a perfect example of what made The Princess Bride truly amazing. Casting.

    So many crappy movies with good potential could have been saved with better casting. It's nice to see a movie that got it right.

  11. Harrybear says:
    June 16, 2008 at 1:34 PM

    AHHHHHHHH The Princess Bride is amazing.. love everything #1 right here. I bet you didn't know about the new Princess Bride video game!!! it's out JUne 18th and right now you can enter in a drawing contest and win some really sweet princess bride prizes. it all at princessbridegame
    check it out i think you'll all be pleasantly surprised
    =)

  12. PIPER says:
    June 19, 2008 at 9:32 AM

    You should read William Goldman's book Which Lie Did I Tell. There's a great section in there about The Princess Bride. The movie is a compilation of characters Goldman made up in stories he told to his daughter before she went to sleep.

    He had sold the script to a studio and the script had been greenlit, but then the greenlighter got fired so the script got shelved. Goldman had to spend a couple of million of his own money to buy the script back so that he could get it made.

    And thank God he did.

    It's a wonderful movie.

  13. Vivianapachecofineart says:
    August 16, 2009 at 5:39 AM

    After so many years of watching Princess Bride and many other movie....Princess Bride is still my number one favourite, follow by Some Kind of Wonderful.
    "The Cliffs of Insanity!" you gotta love all the great casting,nobody could have said that line any better than Wallace Shawn.
    I have read the book, it is wonderful, and if you think the movie is funny,you will not make it without peeing yourself while reading the book, it is THAT funny!
    IT's5 am, I have a cold, and I'm off to watch it again for the umpteeth time....I had kept track till I hit 100!

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates