the big lebowski

I had never seen The Big Lebowski before last night. Honestly, that's (in part) why I nominated it for LAMB's new feature, Movie of the Month. It's been on my list for so long; everyone (including you, probably) has told me it's a must-watch. And this way, I knew I wouldn't be able to keep on procrastinating.

So that was a really long, wordy way of telling you that I've now seen "the first cult film of the Internet era." I'm now in the club. If you look at me, nod your head, and murmur "The Dude Abides"... I will not only know what you're talking about, I'll feel warm and fuzzy knowing that it's true.

Here's the real question, though: with all that build-up, buzz, hype, what have you... could I actually enjoy the film? Does the Dude live up to his cult-leader status?


Uh... yeah.

The Big Lebowski is a perfect example of why I love the Coen brothers. The crazy camera shots, absurdist humor, whimsical storylines and infectious music will hypnotize you (you may be apt to forget what time it is)... and the boys aren't afraid to get all trippy, either. It's hard to pick a favorite scene, but I immensely enjoyed the Dude's two acid flashbacks/dream sequences. And I can't get over the milk in the mustache.

I also fully get why this is considered such a quotable movie. If I were a bit more familiar, I'd likely be right there with the other freaks at the Lebowski Fest every year. Truth be told, I'll probably watch it again tonight.


Best dialogue (feel free to present your own favorites):
Jesus: You ready to be fucked, man? I see you rolled your way into the semis. Dios mio, man. Liam and me, we're gonna fuck you up.

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

***
UPDATE: Check out the other LAMBs' reviews of The Big Lebowski here.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

12 Response to "the big lebowski"

  1. Fletch says:
    June 13, 2008 at 2:42 PM

    Glad the hype didn't diminish the experience for ya. They had me right from the start, when we see the Dude writing a check...for 69 cents. Brilliant, and it only got better from there.

    Can't wait to re-watch for my review, though that's hardly necessary with all the times I've seen it.

    Oh, and btw: I've never been to a Lebowski Fest, but a friend of mine has, and he got me a green t-shirt that says "Achiever" on the front with "And proud we are of all of them" on the back. Love it.

  2. Anonymous Says:
    June 15, 2008 at 12:48 PM

    I loved this movie, too. My favorite lines are Goodman to Buscemi. Example: "They're nihilists, Donnie." etc.

  3. Linda says:
    June 15, 2008 at 7:32 PM

    And this one gets better on multiple viewings. Finally bought my own copy. .... dude.

  4. Nayana Anthony says:
    June 16, 2008 at 9:03 AM

    I saw this again last night. I don't usually buy DVD's (I usually find that I never watch them again if I buy them), but this one will be an exception.

  5. justacoolcat says:
    June 16, 2008 at 9:33 PM

    The Dude Abides.

  6. PIPER says:
    June 19, 2008 at 9:27 AM

    I'm not a fan of this movie.

    Many of my friends and peers constantly recommend this. As a result, I've seen it three times thinking that I'm just missing something.

    What I've found is that it's lazy filmmaking. The Coen Brothers are fantastic filmmakers and writers and I'm certainly one who does not shy away from F-Bombs, but there are too many in this script and it just feels lazy. And I'm all for irreverent comedy, but this just didn't connect with me.

    And I say all this knowing that my movie tastes come into question, but oh well. I love all the players involved, just don't love the end product.

  7. Nayana Anthony says:
    June 19, 2008 at 10:41 AM

    You mean they should cut down on the swearing?

    What the fuck you talking about?

    Actually, Piper, your opinion is always welcome, and your taste is held in high regard, at least with me. Thanks for the perspective.

    (Remember, I'm still the one that loves the Britney Spears movie.)

  8. PIPER says:
    June 20, 2008 at 1:02 PM

    What the fucking fuck fuck, shit, poo, fucking, fucktastic fucking fuck.

    I feel so much better.

  9. Nayana Anthony says:
    June 20, 2008 at 3:22 PM

    Glad you were able to get that off your chest, Piper.

    If you need to do that again, you know where to find me.

    (sheesh)

  10. Big Mike Mendez says:
    July 1, 2008 at 3:36 AM

    It truly is a movie that can live up to the hype. Too bad the studio didn't put that kind of effort into marketing it in the first place. But then, it wouldn't be our little cult film, would it? Guess that's the way the world works.

    Strikes and gutters. Ups and downs.

  11. Nayana Anthony says:
    July 1, 2008 at 9:45 AM

    It's so weird, Michael... we want great movies to do well, but there is a bit of satisfaction in being in the select group that "gets" it.

  12. Reel Whore says:
    July 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM

    Welcome to the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers, Nayana!

    The Jesus is my favorite. Turturro is on fire during his brief screentime....my line "stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes cleek"

    Here's to many, many more enjoyable viewings for years to come.

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates