my day zero project ~or~ 101 things in 1001 days

I just got married. Whoo. :-)

So now I'm moving on with the REST of my life. Kind of a daunting task, as there's about a million things I want to accomplish.

Enter the Day Zero Project.

The point of this thing is that you come up with 101 things you want to do, and you get 1,001 days to complete your list. That's about 2.75 years, which is great for a professional procrastinator like yours truly. It's exciting, though: of course I've got tons of goals, and now I'm going to attempt to actually keep track of them! And yes, one of my goals is to spend much more time with my dear blog readers (you know...you).

I'm starting this project today: October 10, 2010. 1,001 days from today will be July 8, 2013. Totally doable. And I'll be keeping you up to date as I make progress on my goals, both in this list and in regular "dayzero"-tagged posts. (Strikethrough means I've finished the goal; italics mean it's in progress.)

So...here goes:

Health
  1. Run a 5K race
  2. Track my food and exercise for a month on SparkPeople
  3. Go swimming twice a month for a year
  4. Fly in an airplane without a seatbelt extender (I have a juicy ass, FYI)
  5. Eat five freggies a day for a month
  6. Ride my bike to work
  7. Drink 8 8-oz glasses of water a day for a month
  8. Run a 10-minute mile
Movies, Writing, & Blogging
  1. Write in my blog every day during Oscar season
  2. Get paid to write
  3. Attend a film festival
  4. Get 100 hits on my blog per day and maintain for a week
  5. Participate in five blogathons
  6. Write a short story
  7. Watch all AFI 100 movies
  8. Get 200 Facebook fans
  9. Watch all Academy Award Best Picture winners
  10. Make an updated Top 100 movie list
  11. Watch every Coen brothers movie
  12. Go back to college
  13. Get caught up on Google Reader
  14. Stay caught up on Google Reader for a month
  15. See all feature films directed by Hayao Miyazaki
Finances
  1. Pay off all credit cards
  2. Pay off car loan
  3. Go a week without buying anything
  4. Put an entire paycheck into savings
  5. Achieve a good credit score
  6. Build a three-month emergency fund
  7. Buy a house
  8. Go an entire month, only eating out once
Travel
  1. Put my hair in the ocean again
  2. Go on a cruise
  3. Get another stamp in my passport
  4. Visit Washington, DC
  5. Go camping alone with my husband
  6. Take a spontaneous road trip
  7. Eat at a Waffle House
  8. Go to Canada with my husband
  9. Ride the Ducks at Wisconsin Dells
Discipline & Spirituality
  1. Keep the house clean for a full month
  2. Go to church twelve Sundays in a row
  3. Get thank you notes done
  4. Get all new gifts put away and house in order
  5. Buy 10 food items for the sole purpose of donating them to a food bank
  6. Organize our storage closet
  7. Finish name changes
  8. Join a small group at church
  9. Participate in a run or walk for a cause
  10. Move husband's curio cabinet to our home
  11. Plan meals a week at a time, every week for a month
  12. Get tree up by December 5
  13. Take tree down by the end of January
  14. Leave a 100% tip
  15. Read a book by Greg Boyd
  16. Cover a meal for a random serviceperson
  17. Brown bag my lunch every day for a month
Just for Fun
  1. Get a tattoo
  2. Take a Spanish class
  3. Ask 10 friends to suggest one book each, and read them all
  4. Read three books from the banned books list
  5. Run a D&D game
  6. Do a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle
  7. Eat at 10 new restaurants
  8. Learn sign language
  9. Perfect five signature dishes
  10. Go to a Jimmy Buffett concert
  11. Get three pedicures in a six-month period
  12. See a play or stage show in Minneapolis or Saint Paul
  13. Knit a scarf and hat
  14. Complete our wedding registry
  15. Go to a football game
  16. Organize a hide and seek with at least 20 friends at IKEA
  17. Beat five video games I've never beaten
  18. Learn how to make jam
  19. Beat my husband in Risk.
  20. Watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV series) from beginning to end
  21. Go back to the Elephant Walk B&B
  22. Learn the Electric Slide
  23. Beat five Guitar Hero songs on hard
  24. Beat one Guitar Hero song on expert
Work
  1. Get caught up at work
  2. Get to work on time and leave on time every day for a week
  3. Take a personal day every three months for a year
  4. Structure my work time into a set schedule, and stick to it for a month
  5. No Facebook at work for a week
  6. Keep my office clean and organized for a full month
Relationships
  1. Influence another person to make a Day Zero list
  2. Meet the A-Team (not what you think)
  3. Complete wedding photobooks
  4. Complete honeymoon photobook
  5. Host a wine-tasting party
  6. Have a baby
  7. Drive to Michigan to visit Grandma
  8. Have five different couples over for dinner and games
  9. Drive to Wisconsin for the sole purpose of visiting my sister
  10. Host a Lord of the Rings movie marathon at my home
  11. Make friends with someone I don't like
  12. Soak in a hot tub with at least three friends
  13. Mail out Christmas cards
  14. Host a Red Curtain Trilogy viewing party at my home
And there you have it. I've got to be honest: from here, it looks a bit overwhelming. It will be hard, but guess what? I can do hard things. :-)
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

6 Response to "my day zero project ~or~ 101 things in 1001 days"

  1. Jess says:
    October 10, 2010 at 7:48 AM

    Glad to have you back! Great list. As long as those month-long commitments aren't all in the same month, seems very doable. Hard, but doable. Good luck!

  2. David Bishop says:
    October 10, 2010 at 12:09 PM

    Nice list.

    I don't know how resistant you are to putting TV in your blog, but I'd really love to see updates on how Buffy treats you here.

    I really wish I could be there for the Red Curtain and Lord of the Rings viewing parties. That would be pretty awesome.

  3. Mr. Nayana says:
    November 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM

    Well Nayana, lets see, you have finished #43, #47 (i think), #82, #86, #88, #90 and #91 and we haven't even made it 30 days yet. YOU ROXXORS!!!!1!!1!

  4. Nayana Anthony says:
    November 7, 2010 at 6:19 AM

    Thanks Jess! I'm pretty sure I can do most of it. It will be a challenge, though.

    David... consider yourself officially invited. :-p

    Mr. Nayana... Sadly, you have an inflated opinion of me. I've only finished three of the goals: #43, #86, and #88. There's still quite a bit more to do on the others.

  5. Tamarra says:
    December 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM

    great list, googled day zero lists and yours came up. I stole a few for my own. Good luck with it !

  6. World Wake Up Call says:
    January 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM

    I came across this somewhere, so I read your complete list of DayZero goals, and I must say it was pretty awesome! I loved how it really involved really funn and random things.

    We've made a blogpost trying to inspire as many as people as possible to participate (one of our goals was to write this ;). Perhaps you want to leave a comment of what you thought your best or most interesting goal was?
    http://worldwakeupcall.blogspot.com/2011/01/dayzeroproject.html

    Would be awesome :)
    - Griffith.

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates