megamind

OK, kiddies, I'm going to get right to it. Megamind is good. It's entertaining, witty, fast-paced, and it'll make you giggle. There. That's my review. Now, on to some not-so-reviewy thoughts I had while watching the thing (a few mild spoilers after the jump):

Firstly... Is it weird that I think this guy is kind of hot?










Secondly... I'm loving the in-jokes! Will Ferrell's Megamind alternately lifts lines from Dr. Evil ("I had a fairly standard childhood") and does an obnoxious caricature of Marlon Brando as the new "hero"'s father. And those were just the obvious ones. There were so many little one-liners sprinkled throughout this film, that I found myself snickering every 60 seconds or so..

Thirdly... Is Jonah Hill not the best, most neurotic superhero villain in recent film history? There was quite a bit of Buddy/Syndrome from The Incredibles mixed in, but that whole "referencing other superhero films" thing was par for the course throughout this movie.

As a matter of fact, fourthly, that was one of the greatest things about Megamind. It was quite self-conscious, as any quasi-parody must be; but it was not done in an obnoxious way. References, plot devices, and entire characters lifted from other franchises were treated with good humor. The whole thing had a potential to get tiresome, but we never got to that point. Rather than beating the superhero genre to a gooey pulp, Megamind celebrated it... and actually made me want to go see another superhero movie!

I must say, as someone who has wearied of parodies recently, that I was quite pleasantly surprised.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "megamind"

  1. Mr. Nayana says:
    November 11, 2010 at 8:43 PM

    Was it the Black Mamba that made you think he was hot, or did he have you at "Olo"?

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates