127 hours: whaddaya think?

All signs are pointing to Oscar nominations for Danny Boyle's new release 127 Hours, in theaters now. If you don't already know, this is the story of that guy who got stuck in a canyon a few years ago and escaped by sawing his own arm off. Compelling story, but... ew.

I'm about as queasy as they come. I can't usually handle the gore. But this is supposed to be a fantastic movie, and it seems destined for the Oscars. So what do I do? Do I suck it up and go, watching the icky scene through my fingers? Or do I stay home and just get by on everyone else's reviews?
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

4 Response to "127 hours: whaddaya think?"

  1. Jess says:
    November 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM

    I'm with you - I tend to fast forward gore as much as possible and thus enjoy movies MORE because I haven't been traumatized by the gore. Based on some true love from The Mad Hatter over at the Dark of the Matinee, I intend to see it as soon as it comes to the ends of the earth where I live. But I will definitely be watching large parts through my fingers until I'm used to it.

  2. Ashley Noelle says:
    November 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM

    I don't mind the gore. However, the idea of sawing my own arm off makes me queasy.

    Here's my idea for you. If you go and watch the movie and it comes to that part where the guy is sawing his arm off then you can do what I do; cover your eyes, and peek out to make sure it is truly over. ;)

  3. valis says:
    November 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM

    I sucked it up and watched many musicals, which I loathe. I did really like Singing in the Rain I found out, so your preconceptions based on genre aren't very accurate.

    Besides, a lot of really great movies have people cutting their hands off in them. Evil Dead 2 for example, one of the 3 greatest movies ever made(with 2001 and Brazil). Even David Tenant had his hand chopped off (someone else did the cutting) in Doctor Who, the hand even goes on to be a regular on Torchwood.

  4. David Bishop says:
    November 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM

    I'm waiting for DVD myself so I can either fast forward or mute the scene in question. I think I'm about 10 times more sensitive to that sort of thing than you are if you can imagine that.

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates