hamlet 2

Truthfully, if Hamlet 2 had come out two months ago, or two months from now, I (and many others) probably would have waited for the DVD. But fortunately for Steve Coogan's quirky little film, it's out in late August/early September, aka Where Bad Movies Go To Die. Seriously, my other choices this weekend included Disaster Movie, The House Bunny, and Babylon A.D. Yeah. I went for the goofy indie flick.

The basic premise of Hamlet 2 is that a God-awful out-of-work actor becomes a God-awful acting teacher who tries to save his school's drama program with a God-awful original play, a sequel to Shakespeare's classic work. Hey, remember how pretty much everyone dies at the end of Hamlet? Not a big deal. Hamlet 2 has a time machine. Which explains the cameos by Jesus Christ and Albert Einstein.

Sounds awful, right? The movie itself is ok; I did chuckle here and there. Supporting performances by Catherine Keener and David Arquette were delicious, although they were drowned out by Steve Coogan's scenery chewing. But to be honest, I wasn't really sold until we finally got to see some of that atrocious play (which, in my opinion, is actually pretty freaking awesome.)


Oh yeah, and Elizabeth Shue plays herself. Exquisitely.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

4 Response to "hamlet 2"

  1. Ryan McNeil says:
    September 2, 2008 at 9:21 PM

    I'm pretty sure I'd pay to see that movie...if only to see the number "Raped in the Face".

  2. Anonymous Says:
    September 3, 2008 at 7:17 AM

    Ugh, I cannot wait to see this!

  3. Nayana Anthony says:
    September 3, 2008 at 8:29 AM

    "Raped in the Face" was freaking awesome. As was "Rock Me Sexy Jesus." And the gay men's choir singing "Someone Saved My Life Tonight." The stage production of Hamlet 2 goes on the list of fake productions I really want to see in real life, along with A Taste For Love, the Dracula puppet musical from Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

  4. Daniel says:
    September 5, 2008 at 12:51 PM

    I forgot about the gay men's choir! That song was awesome! Wish I would have remembered that earlier...

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates