ten best moments at the 80th oscars

10. Marion Cotillard's heartfelt, emotional acceptance speech for Best Actress in La Vie En Rose.

9. Jon Stewart's sly wit. Good to have him back.

8. Javier Bardem's shout-out to his mommy en español. Anyone know what he said? I'm just curious.

7. Ethan Coen's two short-but-sweet acceptance speeches. "Uh, thank you very much." and "I don't have a lot to add to what I said earlier. Thank you." Awesome. He should teach a course.

6. Tilda Swinton giving props to Clooney's Bat-nipples when she won Best Supporting Actress for Michael Clayton.

5. Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová's stirring performance of "Falling Slowly" from Once contrasts sharply with all four of the competing songs which, frankly, look like they're trying too hard in comparison.

4. Diablo Cody's humble, shaken acceptance speech (and dedication of her Oscar to the writers) when she wins Best Original Screenplay for Juno. (Note: she wasn't being grumpy when she walked off, people. She was trying to hold it together so she wouldn't start bawling like a five-year-old in front of all those famous folks.)

3. Frances McDormand is visibly stoked as her husband Joel and brother-in-law Ethan nonchalantly accept their Oscar for Best Director for No Country For Old Men.

2. Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová win Best Original Song for "Falling Slowly" from Once, over three songs from Enchanted.

1. Jon Stewart brings Markéta Irglová back onstage to finish her acceptance speech, after the orchestra cut her off in what would have been one of the harshest moments in Oscar history.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

9 Response to "ten best moments at the 80th oscars"

  1. Fletch says:
    February 26, 2008 at 11:22 AM

    I'm on board for all these, and would just like to add:

    * Tilda announcing that she's GIVING her Oscar to her American agent. I'm guessing she follows through, but would love to hear more later on this...

    * Daniel Day-Lewis smacking George Clooney...with a kiss.

    * The overall brevity of the show (in comparison). To end before 10:00 pacific time...I can't remember the last time that happened.

  2. Anonymous Says:
    February 26, 2008 at 3:55 PM

    Good picks, all ...

    If I could see/hear/read what Bardem said I could probably translate it. (I don't know where I was when he said it)

    Not only did the songs from the others sound like they're trying too hard, they just aren't very good. And I swear -- the three from "Enchanted" sounded like continuations of the same song.

    As usual, I appreciated Clooney's self-deprecating humor.

  3. Adam Frazier says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:21 PM

    It was hilarious! Will Ferrell came out as Ron Burgundy to interview the UNC basketball coach, ha.

  4. Linda says:
    February 26, 2008 at 6:45 PM

    Great list. Loved McDormand's two finger whistle (always wished I could do that) when the boys won best director! I loved all the musical numbers, but Falling Slowly was (hmmmm) brilliant!

  5. Daniel says:
    February 26, 2008 at 10:35 PM

    Frances McDormand was great, you're right. I forgot about that one.

    Javier basically dedicated the award to his mom, his fellow Spanish actors, and his country.

    By the way, did you get the Landmark email about concert tickets in May?

  6. J.D. says:
    February 26, 2008 at 11:55 PM

    Your #1 is, in fact, my favorite moment in the history of the universe. Markéta is love.

  7. Rachel says:
    February 27, 2008 at 11:53 AM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  8. Rachel says:
    February 27, 2008 at 11:54 AM

    Off the IMDB boards, this is what Javier was saying to his Mama:

    "Mom, this is for you. This is for your grandparents, for your parents, Rafael and Matilde. This is for the Spanish comedians that have brought, like you, dignity and pride to our trade. This is for Spain, this is for all of you."

    And supposedly "comedians" is an old way to say actors in Spain.

  9. Nayana Anthony says:
    February 27, 2008 at 4:54 PM

    Fletch, dang it! I missed the DDL/Clooney moment.

    Rick... I agree about the Enchanted songs. They just sounded like generic Alan Menken (not that he isn't a genius and all that, la la la).

    Fraze... I'm burning with jealousy.

    Linda... Francis McD is my ho. I love her because she seems so salt-of-the-earth.

    Daniel, dang it! I can't open my Yahoo! mail. I have 85 new messages. What does it say?

    JD... that moment was exquisite.

    Mrs T... thank you! What a beautiful tribute. I'm glad he had the opportunity to make it.

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates