the proposal

I didn't want to see The Proposal. I even (briefly) considered featuring it as a FWLFS. From the moment I saw that first trailer, the whole thing just felt... icky. The premise--a put-upon gopher is forced to get engaged to his abusive female boss so that she can stay in the U.S.--is classic, egregious sexual harassment. Would we laugh, I opined, if the genders were reversed, and a lecherous male boss did the same to his female subordinate? Of course not. Because it's awful.

With my air of progressive hipster superiority fully satisfied, I happily shunned all opportunities (including a free preview) to see The Proposal. It was beneath me, don't you know.

But then some writers whom I actually respect (I'm looking at you, Jess!) had to go and say it wasn't that bad. So on my inaugural Wednesday night movie, I headed down to the Riverview and saw it for $3.

OK, seriously. The premise is awful. But looking past that for a second--can I just say how much I've missed Sandra Bullock? She hasn't been this yummy in a rom-com for at least nine years. And her chemistry with Ryan Reynolds was muy caliente.



So, really, this movie was saved for me by two things: first, the delicious cast (Mary Steenburgen! Betty White! Coach! Oscar from "The Office" doing a lap dance!); and, secondly, the hilarious script*. I have not laughed this much since Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Yes, The Proposal was a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy, and yes, it followed a formula. You always knew what was going to happen next. But--it didn't suck. I was smiling as I walked out of the theater; and that, in itself, transcended my best expectations.

*"You know I can't swim!" "Hence, the boat." If you saw it, you know what I'm talking about.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

3 Response to "the proposal"

  1. Jess says:
    September 24, 2009 at 8:37 AM

    We've been saying "hence the boat" in our family all summer. I was very nervous when you actually took up my recommendation after the start of that post that you didn't like it. I figured you'd been secretly desiring to see it if you included in the list at all. But I'm so glad you liked it. It's really funny. I love her running around trying to trade the dog for her phone.

  2. Nayana Anthony says:
    September 24, 2009 at 10:27 AM

    I really did like it. I don't know if I expressed that enough in this review... but I was laughing out loud through most of it. The dialogue was absolutely brilliant. And, of course, the whole "It Takes Two to Make a Thing Go Right" thing.

  3. Information Review says:
    January 24, 2010 at 7:47 AM

    The trailers promised us a really fun romantic movie with a great cast. What we got was several good scenes with a great cast that could not come together to make a good story or a great movie.

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates