rushmore

There are the Wes Anderson lovers, and there are the Wes Anderson haters, and then there are those of us in the middle--the moderate majority--who can enjoy a Wes Anderson film if we just get ourselves into a very Wes Anderson place beforehand.

I think that was my mistake last year when I went to see The Darjeeling Limited... not enough W.A. prep. But I was ready last night... and so Rushmore knocked my socks off.

Rushmore is the story of Max Fischer, an eccentric fifteen-year-old who, though adventurous and charismatic to the point of absurdity, happens to suck at academics. Enter the sweet first-grade teacher with the British accent, and of course Max falls hard for her. But then so does an equally eccentric Bill Murray... and hilarity ensues.

I hate to say that I may be a product of a Lifetime Movie world, but I kept expecting a little Mary Kay Letourneau action to go down. Thankfully, it didn't, everything worked out, and the film left me with a smile on my face.


One thing struck me as exceptional, however. This is one of those movies in which there is a play within the film; Max happens to be a talented playwright, and we are treated to portions of many of his productions. Recently I've seen quite a few films that fall into this drama-within-the-drama category--Waiting for Guffman, Hamlet 2, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall immediately spring to mind--but the plays in Rushmore are actually really, really great. That seems to be an exception to the rule, as crappy-ass productions provide better comedy fodder.

Oh... you're right. The Dracula puppet musical was sublime, too, wasn't it? All right, never mind.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

5 Response to "rushmore"

  1. nick plowman says:
    October 21, 2008 at 11:26 AM

    YAY!

    Rushmore is totally the best WA film ever made, in my opinion, and one of my favourite past times is rewatching the film like, all the time.

  2. Ibetolis says:
    October 21, 2008 at 6:41 PM

    Glad you liked it Nayana.

    I totally agree with Nick, this is by far and away WA's best film and I didn't much like Darjeeling either.

    Good to see that Rushmore still packs a punch.

  3. Anthony James Barnett - author says:
    October 22, 2008 at 2:38 AM

    An excellent review. Thanks for that. Can't wait to give it a screening.

  4. sir jorge says:
    October 22, 2008 at 10:43 AM

    It's a great one, it has so much comedic timing, even though at times it seems a bit too subtle for most.

  5. valis says:
    October 22, 2008 at 1:02 PM

    Rushmore is great and I agree that The Darjeeling Limited is awful. The Life Aquatic got a bad rap, but I think is Anderson's best work. It has movies that the characters made instead of plays. The play Hamlet has play within it too I think. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is the best play in the movie film I beleive.

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates