once

This is really weird.

I've loved this movie from the moment I first saw it. I've since seen it many times, bought the DVD, acquired the soundtrack, gone to see Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová in concert, and discussed them numerous times on this blog and others. So how is it that I haven't written a freaking review?

I think I've said this before: the movies that I love the most are the hardest for me to write about. It's true. It's perfectly simple to gush endlessly about them to those around me... but somehow that just doesn't translate to a blog post.

So here's the deal: Once is what all movies, in my oh-so-humble opinion, should aspire to be. It's a very simple story (we don't even ever learn the names of the main characters) with great music and real emotion. It was created for next to nothing in a couple of weeks with a couple of cameras and a couple of non-actors. So instead of commercial polish, we get substance. And instead of formulas, we get originality.

Once is almost a romance, but it's not really about that. It's really about the magic that happens when two compatible musicians sit down and create together. It's not something most people get to see every day, but I'm telling you: when the Guy and the Girl sit down and sing together for the first time, it's almost like there's a chemical reaction in the air. Now there's a special effect you can't create on a computer.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

8 Response to "once"

  1. David Bishop says:
    December 2, 2008 at 4:53 PM

    I know the hardships of writing about a movie you really love. I never feel I can do it justice.

    Also, if every movie could take place in Ireland, I'd be set.

  2. Ryan McNeil says:
    December 2, 2008 at 8:41 PM

    You're taking me back dude! Along with the fact that I dearly love this movie, and have gone far too long without watching it (read: two months), it was actually the subject of the very first post I put up on my blog!

    Lovely review you've done here for a very lovely movie. Keep up the great work!

  3. Fletch says:
    December 3, 2008 at 12:43 AM

    Yep, your love for it shines through, and the reasons for that love are oh so justified. It's "true," it's "indie," it's "fresh," and yet, it defies all those simple terms.

    Time to watch it again...

  4. Patricia Perry says:
    December 3, 2008 at 11:39 AM

    I love the soundtrack CD which I listen to a lot, but I really need to get the DVD as well.

    BTW, have your "comments' been broken recently? I've been trying to comment here in the recent past, but was never able to get this screen to come up. Is is just me?

  5. Anonymous Says:
    December 3, 2008 at 11:43 PM

    when the Guy and the Girl sit down and sing together for the first time, it's almost like there's a chemical reaction in the air.

    Nice line. I think that Irglova's and Hansard's chemistry is about as strong as any I've seen.

  6. Nayana Anthony says:
    December 4, 2008 at 11:22 AM

    David... the setting was almost another character in this one, wasn't it?

    Hatter... As if Once wasn't already super-special, it's a bloggy milestone for you. Cool!

    Fletchy... "It's "true," it's "indie," it's "fresh," and yet, it defies all those simple terms." You're describing me. I gotta hire you to write my long-anticipated biography. ;-)

    Pat... Yes, they were "broken". Thank God they're back... I love to get you guys' comments.

    Rick... Thanks! Their chemistry was pretty fantastic in person, too.

  7. Fletch says:
    December 4, 2008 at 11:27 AM

    I'm available for hire, but my rates are steeeeep.

  8. Nayana Anthony says:
    December 4, 2008 at 12:07 PM

    Aw. I'm just a poor hippie. Oh, well.

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates