the great outdoors

It's been on my list for awhile, ever since someone told me "You gotta Netflix that." Honestly, not a big priority.... just one of those movies I always meant to see. Anyway, it was on my OnDemand Free Movies last night, so...

The Great Outdoors is silly slapstick; your typical 80's comedy fare. Some parts were awful (the bears-on-the-car scene was hard to watch), but I definitely got a few giggles here and there. It did make me sad about John Candy, though. He was just so dang cute.

Here's a question: what is it with 80's movies and instant romance? The teenagers in this movie went from two I-hate-you scenes to "You're my girlfriend." Um, what? I think I remember that happening in Top Gun, too. Undeniably hot, to be sure, but what exactly caused Kelly McGillis to invite Tom Cruise to her place that first time? Just felt like it was out of the blue. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? And can you think of any other examples?
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "the great outdoors"

  1. Fletch says:
    January 21, 2008 at 8:54 AM

    It's been too long since I've seen The Great Outdoors for me to respond, but since I've seen Top Gun so many times, I can comment on that.

    There wasn't an off/on switch for their "love." "Charlie" was at the bar with some old dude when Pete/Maverick met her, and they flirted for some time there, and again later at the base, before they ever hooked up. Their coupling was just seen as somewhat forbidden, as she was an instructor and he was a student.

Copyright © 2008-2010 The Center Seat
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates